Yes, I know these are lucky problems to have! This is tongue and cheek!

This post is not for pity - this is fo solidarity!  I am currently packing 3 kids to go to overnight camp.  I want to just lie down amongst the duffle bags and cry.  It is AWFUL - but still totally worth it!  I am living the drama that is playing out all over my neighbourhood and across the city.  I know that all of us are suffering through the piles of clothes, the shoes, the toiletries and linens that are piled up in various parts of the house.  For first time campers, the piles match the packing list to a T.  As the kids get more savvy, and the parents get more complacent, those piles grow and take on a life of their own.  My son's piles are relatively small and contained.  I joke that he really only needs two outfits, and no socks, but he rolls his eyes at me - he does that a lot now that he's a teenager!  One year, I actually called the camp to tell them he needed to change his clothes as he was in one shirt in EVERY single picture.  I thew it out when he got home and I wrestled it off him!  My younger daughter has her own idea of what to pack, and as long as she follows the guidelines, I am cool with that.   And then there is Alesh - she's 15 and NEEDS a variety of outfits, gear and creature comforts.  There should be a special trailer for the oldest campers duffles - they are so full and bursting they may burst!  I think she wears at least 3 outfits a day!  I draw the line in allowing her to take furniture with her  - I let the camp supply that!  I know some kids who take shelves and other storage devices!
Every year is pretty much the same chaos, but this year, it has felt worse.  I can't drive yet, and so I have done a lot of my shopping online.  Amazon, walmart and old navy deliveries have been a constant source of supplies.  The delivery people are becoming friends!  I also can't lift anything over 5 lbs, which means I am pretty useless when it comes to the real lifting.  A bag full of toiletries weighs way more than 5 lbs, so I have to wait for someone else to put it int he bags.  And I haven't even bothered with name tags for the two older ones - I figure that if they can't remember what belongs to them, its their problem!  Sorry, head staff - I just can't do everything!  And the piece d'reistance?  I LOST a duffle bag!  I have lost one very large red duffle bag with our last name on it!  How did this happen and how did I not realize it until Wednesday??  And a stupid camp supply store won't take phone orders, so my mom had to go in to order a new one!  
However, this is all worth it - my kids absolutely love camp, and count down the hours.  I will finish packing them today, and the  mess will disappear.  
Here are some tips I have learned along the way:
1. Socks and underwear are disposable.  You don't want them in your house after camp.
2. Pack the shoes in plastic bags and tell the kids to repack them in the bags (send a letter near the end of the session to remind them)
3. Send things your kids actually wear.  They won't wear the stuff you think they should wear.  Have them help you pack or have them lay out what they want to take.
4. Print out labels for letters with the addresses of people you expect them to write to - also, tell them who each person is.  My little one didn't recognize her grandparents name on the label, so didn't write them any letters!  
5.  I colour code the towels - each kid has different towels. I tried to have bath towels one colour, and beach towels another, but the kids did not follow that!  
6. Pack using cubes (www.cubbycubes.com) to keep things organized in both the bags AND the shelves!  

My living room:

Enjoy the packing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am living a miracle right now

70

A Slight Delay