Its Been 10 years

Tonight, in the Jewish calendar,  marks the ten year anniversary of my father's passing from cancer.  On Monday night, we ate dinner at our friends Jeff and Bronna's, in their amazing Sukkah.  Bronna asked me to be write about an Ushpizin, or Sukkah guest.  This is what I wrote:

Bronna asked me to speak tonight about my Ushpizin, or Sukkah guest, and she had no idea how significant that was for me.  Sukkot was my Dad’s favourite holiday  He loved putting up his sukkah, even though it ultimately fell down each night.  He loved the smell of the etrog and he loved to parade with the lulov around the shul.  He ESPECIALLY loved carrying his grandchildren WITH the lulov and etrog!    It is also fitting that he passed away during Chol Hamod Sukkot in 2008 - 10 years ago this Friday.  It is because of this, that I chose my Dad, Sholem Isroel Altman to speak about.

Almost all of you here tonight knew my dad.  And for those of you who never had the pleasure or were just too young when he passed to remember his awesomeness, I feel bad for you.  He was an amazing person.  

My father was a dichotomy.  On one hand, he was liberal and easy going.  He had embraced the 60s and 70s music scene and had always been a free spirit.  His motto was “Just Be Nice’ and everyone was his friend.  Unless you gave him reason not to be!  Growing up in my house was a bit different.  I was usually yelling at my dad to turn down the music, or choosing to stay home because the party was way better at my house!  

On the other hand, my dad was rooted in strong, conservative values.  He held onto his rich Jewish heritage, and loved all things related to celebrating holidays and events.  He loved the preparation of Shabbat and Holidays just as much as, if not more than, the actual day.  My dad loved being at Shul, and had deep, philosophical discussions with the Rabbi - or truthfully, anyone who would engage - on various topics that peeked his interest.  He ensured that my brother, sister and I learned how to be true Jew’s, in the Menchiest kind of way.  He stressed that family is the strongest bond, and that we should always have each other’s back.  As a Zaidie, he made sure that his grandchildren knew that they were integral to his life, and would often be picking them up in his convertible for an adventure with Bubbie and Zadie.  


It was as if my dad knew that longevity was not in his cards.  He lived life to live.  When he was dying I asked him if he had any regrets.  He said he had none.  Yes, he wished he had stopped smoking.  Yes, he wished he had been a lawyer for longer as he loved it.  Yes, he wished he would have more time with his family,  but no, he had no regrets about his life.  He had lived HIS life fully and completely and died knowing that.  It is because of this lesson that I chose my dad as tonights Ushpizin.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am living a miracle right now

70

A Slight Delay