What A Year

What a year. It has been the highest of highs to very low lows. As I reflect on 2018, I am both happy and sad to see it go. 

We started the year in Puerto Vallarta. We’ve been going there with Kerry’s family for almost 20 years and it’s one of our favourite places.   Sadly, we didn’t go this year but we’ll be back next year!  

I went back to work in January thinking that I was about to be promoted to Vice-Principal.   Sadly, I was not successful. I was so disappointed and really struggled to put my shoulders back and lift my head high. I still needed to show up both physically and mentally to teach my classes in the manner my students deserved. It took all my energy to get out of bed and go to work. I was so upset and sad. It’s a job I really want and have worked so hard for. I have had so much support from my principal and friend, Joe, that it made the disappointment a little less bitter. 

I decided to take the kids down to New York City for March Break. Kerry met us there for a conference, as did Paul and Fern (my brother and sister in law) and the girls. We drove down over two days and besides the usual kid bickering in the car, we had so much fun. It’s those types of moments that I hope my kids think of as they grow up.   

It was in NYC that I made my appointments for my baseline testing. Who would have thought what the next few weeks would end up as. We had so much fun, and ate and saw such amazing things!  I still can’t believe I had CANCER at that time. 

While in NYC, I picked up the invites and Kippas for Zev’s Bar Mitzvah. We were so excited for June 9th!   We sent out the invites as soon as we got back and thought the most stressful part of the next 2 months were going to be planning the Bar Mitzvah. BOY WERE WE WRONG!!!

It was the craziest 8 weeks after that! To recap: became a Rodan and Fields consultant, diagnosed with breast cancer, double mastectomy, planning the Bar Mitzvah, having the Bar Mitzvah, packing for camp, packing for our cruise and trip, and GOING on the cruise and trip!!!    How the f#%k did I pull that off???   Well, for starters, I’m married to the most amazing man. He really is incredible. I also have a wonderful mother and in laws who helped out with whatever we needed. My siblings were (are) so amazing and helpful. I have the best friends a girl can ask for, and our entire community banded around us to ensure we had everything we needed. That love and support carried us through May and June and then again August to October during chemo. We know we are blessed. 

The rest of 2018 has been focused on getting healthy and fit to have surgery in February. We took the kids skiing in Ellicotville, NY for Christmas. It was wonderful. I love it there. The past week has been consumed with moving Kerry’s office. He is tearing down the building at 180 Sheppard and building new. It will be amazing!  But for now, he is moving to a temporary location at Wilson and Wilson Heights.   This will definitely be an adventure!  

I am not sure when I will go back to work, but I know that I have shifted my perspective on what really matters. I still want to be a VP and will strive towards that. I know I have the know how, but for whatever reason, it just wasn’t my time. I clearly had a different path to take in 2018. My time will come!

2018 was a year of many highs and lows in my family. Cancer, Bar Mitzvah, weddings, baby Isaiah, trips, and many wonderful experiences in between.   We don’t get to plan for everything, but we do get to plan how we live through them. 


So, here’s to 2019!  May it be a year of love, health, happiness and lots of laughter!  Love to all of you!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am living a miracle right now

70

A Slight Delay